Van Nuys Law Firm Helps Clients Fight Drunk Driving Charges
Effective Southern California attorney assists motorists accused of DUI
A conviction for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs can disrupt your life and leave you with a criminal record. With so much on the line, you need an experienced criminal defense lawyer who is not afraid to take on law enforcement authorities. At the Law Offices of Jovi G. Usude in Van Nuys, I have been providing tough, knowledgeable counsel to Southern California motorists for more than 15 years. Whether this is your first charge or you are facing increased punishment as a multiple-DUI offender, I find creative ways to confront the allegations against you.
Aggressive advocate challenges evidence used to prosecute DUI cases
Since 2001, my firm has guided Los Angeles County clients to successful results by exposing flaws in DUI enforcement such as:
- Unreasonable stops — Aside from stopping motorists at strictly regulated checkpoints, police officers can only stop cars if they have a reasonable suspicion that the driver is intoxicated or that some other traffic violation is occurring.
- Improper searches and arrests — Though you are required to take a sobriety test upon request, probable cause must exist in order for a police officer to search or detain you against your will. This means that the officer must reasonably believe that criminal conduct has occurred. Even if they find evidence of alcohol use, such as a bottle, that item can be excluded if proper legal justification did not exist to conduct the search.
- Tainted tests — Drivers 21 and over are considered legally intoxicated if their blood alcohol concentration is .08 percent or greater. Various factors can alter test results and prejudice the case against drivers. These can include improperly administered breathalyzers, what a motorist recently ate or drank, and tainted samples. I know how to identify problems and challenge suspect evidence.
As an experienced criminal defense attorney, I know that authorities pressure drivers to give up their rights. I offer a free initial consultation so that you can get the protection you need quickly.
Knowledgeable adviser outlines laws relating to driving under the influence
I have detailed knowledge of state laws that affect intoxicated drivers and can help you understand rules concerning:
- Test refusal — Under California’s implied consent law, driving within the state means that you automatically agree to take a sobriety test if requested by police. Even if it turns out that you were not intoxicated, refusal to do so results in license suspension of at least one year.
- Penalties — Every DUI conviction results in license suspension and a jail term of at least four days. Fines for a first offense can run up to $1,000. Multiple offenders or drivers who are involved in accidents face longer incarceration and larger fines.
- Ignition interlock devices — After a drunk driving offense, many motorists are required to use ignition interlock devices in their cars. These instruments prevent vehicles from operating if the driver does not pass a breathalyzer test.
No matter how difficult your case might seem, I will identify any potential defenses and argue strongly for an appropriate outcome.
Contact a diligent California DUI defense lawyer for a free initial consultation
The Law Offices of Jovi G. Usude represents Southern California clients who have been charged with driving under the influence of alcohol and other offenses. Please call 424-274-7065 or contact me online to schedule a free initial consultation at my Van Nuys office.